Monday 13 June 2011

BMBS Round 3 - Wasing Park

This weekend saw the full Torq Performance Team head to Wasing park for the 3rd round of BMBS. This type of course doesn’t suit me very well as it is too flat and not enough technical sections to make my time up over the others!

However I tried to make sure that whatever happened was that I nailed myself really hard at the start to make sure I got myself into a good position and onto someone’s wheel and just cling on and stick to them like glue. On the start line I gridded up behind the legend Nick Craig and thought I would use him as my target.



Off the start I did just that! Managing to cling to his wheel and stayed with him until half way round the first lap where he got in front of another rider and I got held up before squeezing past too late as the gap was already 10 meters or so!



I kept pushing on hard and managed to get up to 22nd position and attaching myself to Gareth Montgomerie’s wheel and doing sufficient turns we created our own group before being joined by 2 others! Over the next 5 laps we stayed together as a group before upping the pace and dropping one of the riders off the back!
Going into the last lap we were down to 3 of us before Gareth stalled as he tried to fix his gears.



Myself and Simon Ernest saw the opportunity to push on hard as Simon opened a small gap on myself before catching Tom Bell who was in front. Simon kept the power on dropping Tom as I was 10 meters or so behind. I pushed hard through the singletrack and using my strengths on the technical side to bridge the gap down I pulled it down to 4 bike lengths as we entered the arena. I pushed hard on the pedals as standing up hurt too much but only managed to get the gap down to 2 bike lengths by the finish line to take a really happy 21st position and 2mins50 off my Team mate Ben Thomas who finished 12th.

           After I rolled in a pigs bath to wash my arms and face : )
Overall I am really happy with my performance and still got a lot of work to do to get myself up there, but hopefully the light will shine more after a proper mountain bike course takes place in Margam Park in 2 weeks time!

No comments:

Post a Comment